Effective Monday, December 14, 2020: The Child Seat Installation service will be suspended until further notice. This step is necessary to help prevent the spead of COVID-19 and ensure the safety of the public and police officers. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.
The Somerville Police Department urges parents and caregivers to ensure that car seats and booster seats are properly installed in their vehicles to prevent injuries or even death. The SPD does offer car seat installation services to Somerville Residents only. However, your car seat should meet federal quality performance standards set by the US.
Car seats and booster seats provide protection for infants and children in a crash, yet crashes are a leading cause of death for children ages 1 to 13. Follow these important steps to choose the right seat, install it correctly and keep your child safe.
Finding the Right Car Seat
- Learn about the four car seat types
- Follow NHTSA's car seat recommendations based on your child's age and size
- Find and compare car seats and ease-of-use ratings using NHTSA's Car Seat Finder
Learn more at www.nhtsa.gov
*NOTE: Plase check the car seat recommendations provided by NHTSA. If you are planning to have your car seats installed by the Somerville Police Department, some car seats purchased abroad may not meet USA standards and will not be installed.
General Safety Guidelines
- Select a car seat based on your child's age, height, and weight.
- Keep your child in the car seat for as long as possible, as long as your child fits the seat's height and weight requirements.
- All children under 13 should ride in the back seat.
- Follow your car seat manufacturer's instructions and your vehicle owner's manual on how to install.
- Get help from a certified officer during our monthly child safety seat checkpoint.
Federal Safety Performance Standard Required
As a reminder, all car seats meet strict Federal safety performance standards and are available for vehicles of all sizes. For more information visit: www.nhtsa.gov/carseat to find updated ratings for car seats and booster seats.
Need Assistance Installing Your Car Seat?
This service is available once a month to Somerville residents with proof of residency.
To inquire about the next available date, use the contact information below.
For more information about child safety seats, please visit the Massachusetts Highway Safety Division Website.
The information provided on this page was provided by the National Highway Safety Administration and the Massachusetts Highway Safety Division