All new applicants must mail in or drop off (place in mail slot) application packets to:
Somerville Police Substation1114 BroadwaySomerville, MA 02144
All packets MUST be in a 9 x 12 manilla envelope and contain the following (click here for printable checklist):
- Fully completed, signed application (new applicants MUST include social security number).
- Email address written on top of the first page of the application.
- Copy safety certificate.
- Copy of your Massachusetts driver's license or state issued identification card.
- Money order in the amount of $100 made out to the City of Somerville. Personal checks or cash are NOT accepted. Applicants over the age of 70 are free.
- Proof of residency in the form of:
- Utility or credit card bill with address (financial information should be redacted)
- Rental/Lease agreement
- Voter registration card
- Letter addressed to the licensing authority telling us a little about the applicant, why they are seeking a license and how long they have been resident of the City of Somerville.
- Naturalized citizens are required to bring a Naturalization Certificate, which should include the date, number, and location (city/state) of naturalization.
After the application packet is reviewed, deemed complete and accepted, the applicant will be notified of a date when they will be scheduled to be fingerprinted. All incomplete application packets will be returned to the applicant. Fingerprinting will take place at the Somerville Police Headquarters located at 220 Washington Street, Somerville, MA.
The following requirements will apply to ALL fingerprinting appointments.
- Applicants will be required to complete and present a health questionaire prior to being fingerprinted (click here for health questionnaire). If you answer YES to any of the questions on the questionnaire, you should contact the licensing authority at 617-625-1600 Ext. 7330 to reschedule your appointment.
- ALL applicants will be required to wear a face covering.
- Applicants must present identification at the time of fingerprinting.
The fingerprinting process will be as follows:
- Only one applicant will be in the building at a time.
- Applicants will be required to wear a face covering.
- Applicants will be required to sanitize their hands prior to fingerprinting.
- Police personnel will be required to wear a mask, gloves and shield.
- Applicants will be supplied with a sanitizing wipe to clean ink off their hands at the completion of the fingerprinting process and will immediately exit the building.