SPD CADET PROGRAM
The Somerville Police Department (SPD) Cadet Program is a paid law enforcement apprenticeship program that provides mentorship, training, varied work assignments, and an educational incentive for high school graduates. The goal of the program is to seek out candidates from underrepresented populations and to assist candidates with limited knowledge of how to pursue a career in Law Enforcement by providing them with the training, guidance, and confidence to gain employment as a Police Officer. Cadets will develop a clear understanding of the challenges and personal rewards of a police career and their civilian experiences will allow them to determine whether law enforcement is a good professional fit.
Five cadets will be accepted into the SPD Cadet Program each year beginning in Spring 2020.
The Cadets will be mentored on the principles of 21st Century Policing, with a strong emphasis on Community Policing. They will receive classroom instruction in crisis intervention, de-escalation, CPR, NARCAN, and officer wellness. The Department will mentor the cadets to develop and refine important qualities in police officers, such as maturity, responsibility, teamwork, and leadership. SPD Cadets will be non-sworn members of the Department; they will wear a standard cadet uniform and will not carry firearms. SPD Cadets will have temporary assignments and gain understanding of the various functions of the Police Department, with a focus on observation and community safety.
SPD CADET PROGRAM SPECIFICS
The SPD Cadet Program is a four-year program.
Years 1 and 2:
- Pay: $18/hour without benefits.
- Work Schedule: 16 hours/week in the academic year, with increases to 28 hours/week on school breaks.
- Academic Requirement: Cadets must attend community college full time, maintain a 3.0 GPA, and obtain an Associate’s Degree at the end of the SPD Cadet Program Year 2.
- Education Reimbursement: Cadets will receive an education reimbursement benefit of up to $5,200 each academic year to help defray the cost of tuition and fees.
Years 3 and 4:
- Pay: $18/hour with City standard benefits, including health insurance and vacation leave.
- Work Schedule: Full-time (40 hours/week).
- Additional Training/Instruction for the State of Massachusetts qualifying examination. During SPD Cadet Program Year 4, the Somerville Police Department will sponsor the employee to a police academy for full-time municipal police officers. This additional training will provide cadets with the necessary certification to seek employment as police officers throughout the state.
- After completion of their fourth year of service, cadets will end employment and transition out of the cadet program to make room for a new class of cadets.
Applicants must meet the following qualifications:
- Resident of the City of Somerville, MA at time of application and for the past twelve months.
- Eligible to work in the USA.
- Between the ages of 18-21 on July 1 of SPD Cadet Program Year 1 (July 1, 2020 for the upcoming 2020/2021 starting class).
- Provide high school diploma, GED or a letter from school official stating applicant in academic good standing to graduate at the end of the current year.
- Provide valid MA Driver’s License or learner’s permit and proof of enrollment in a driver’s education class.
- Capable of passing a physical examination equal to that necessary for appointment as a Police Officer in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Download the application HERE
- Applications are due on February 1, 2020. Please see application for specific submittal instructions.
- All applications will be reviewed and selected candidates invited for interviews.
- Applicants will be notified of their status throughout the selection process.
- Five candidates will be given conditional offers of acceptance into the SPD Cadet Program at the end of the interview period. The SPD Cadet is a safety-sensitive position. Prior to employment, SPD Cadets will need to successfully complete and/or pass a required background check, drug screen, fingerprinting, reference check, physical examination, MA State Ethics Training Program, and a driving history check (if applicable), per the City of Somerville’s Non-Civil Service Hiring Policy for New Employees. Cadets must be verified for eligibility to work in the United States prior to hire. Excluding the age requirement, Cadets must meet all eligibility standards for a full-time Police Officer and be eligible to obtain a firearms license at age 21.